- Created on Friday, 26 April 2013 16:12
- Last Updated on Friday, 17 January 2014 21:45
- Published on Friday, 26 April 2013 16:12
Joint Occupational Health and Safety Committee
Established under Section 18 of the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA), the mandate of the Joint Occupational Health and Safety Committee (JOHSC) is, in part, to:
Identify situations that may be a source of danger or hazard to workers;
Make recommendations to the employer and workers for the improvement of the health and safety of the workers;
- Recommend to the employer and the workers the establishment, maintenance and monitoring of programs, measures and procedures respecting the health and safety of workers.
The JOHSC operates under Terms of Reference negotiated by the employer and the unions and approved by the Ministry of Labour.
In addition Terms of Reference Protocols have been established as part of the Terms. They include protocols for:
- Administration of Health and Safety Concerns
- Incident, Accident Injury Reporting and Investigation
- Refusal to Work
- Occupational Health and Safety Testing
- A Bilateral Work Stoppage
The District School Board's relevant Health and Safety procedures can be found here or on the Policies and Procedures section of the Board's website and on First Class under Policies and Procedures: TLDSB.
The JOHSC has representation from each of the unions representing members within the District School Board. A list can be found here, with each representative's worksite responsibilities listed.
Each worksite has a worksite representative who has the responsibility to complete monthly inspections for the workers at their site.