Bargaining Unit Council
The Bargaining Unit Council (BUC) is comprised of the members of the Bargaining Unit Executive, and a Branch President elected from each of the secondary schools. Both teacher and occasional teacher members are eligible to stand for election for Bargaining Unit Council positions.
The BUC meets a minimum of five (5) times per year. Meetings may be held in-person or virtually.
The BUC directs and oversees the work of the Bargaining Unit. The Council may establish interim policies which shall form an appendix to the constitution. All interim policies must be approved by the delegates at the Annual Meeting of the Bargaining Unit Assembly.
Elections for the Bargaining Unit Executive occur every two years, with the exception of the Occasional Teachers' Representative, who is elected annually in September. The Bargaining Unit President is elected on a one-member, one-vote basis. The rest of the Bargaining Unit Executive members (Vice Presidents (2), Treasurer, Secretary, and Equity, Anti-Racism & Anti-Oppression Officer) are elected by the delegates at the Annual Meeting of the Bargaining Unit Assembly, as per the Bargaining Unit Constitution and By-Laws.
The members of the current 2022-2023 Teachers'/Occasional Teachers' Bargaining Unit Council and their term of office are as follows:
- Kristy Gordon (LCVI), Chairperson (non-voting)
(The position of Chairperson is appointed in odd numbered years by the Bargaining Unit Council, for a two-year term.)
- Craig Horsley (GHS), President
- Angela Weiler (LCVI), Vice President
- Erin Matthew (IEWSS), Vice President
- Danielle Lazzarin (IEWSS), Secretary
- Justin Boyd (IEWSS), Treasurer
- to be elected, Equity, Anti-Racism & Anti-Oppression Officer
- to be elected, Occasional Teachers' Representative
- John Mazara (HHSS), Federation Officer (non-voting)
(The Executive, with the exception of the Occasional Teachers' Representative and the Federation Officer, is elected in even numbered years as outlined above. The current Executive was elected in May 2022, with a term of July 1, 2022 to June 30, 2024. The position of Federation Officer is appointed in odd numbered years by the Bargaining Unit Council. The current term is July 1, 2021 to June 30, 2023.)
- Daryl Underwood, Bracebridge & Muskoka Lakes Secondary School
- Tracy Heindl, Fenelon Falls Secondary School
- Iggi van Kooten, Gravenhurst High School
- Cynthia McAlister, Haliburton Highlands Secondary School
- David Scott, Huntsville High School
- Katie Ellery, I. E. Weldon Secondary School
- Ryan Weiler, Lindsay Collegiate & Vocational Institute
- Kelly Connell (Lindsay AAEC), School of Alternate Education
(Branch Presidents are elected annually by members in each school.)